The Data Governance category is extensive. It includes internal procedures and policies designed for data management. Currently, a staggering amount of external and internal data is collected. To use this data efficiently, reduce cost, and manage the risks there is a necessity of an efficient data governance plan.
Data governance guarantees that your data is –
In brief, data governance means your company’s accessible data is of high quality across the entire data lifecycle. Businesses can depend on the data to make crucial core decisions. You can learn about the difference between data management and data governance on datamanagementeducation.com.
Ewsolutions is a leading data governance consultant since 1997. Their approach is customized according to every business needs and their experts even offer training to your team. With effective data management procedures and policies, your business outcomes improve and there is growth in the existing competitive market, which is crucial for every company.
Importance of data governance
- Make data complete and accurate
- Make data consistent
- Improve data quality
- Maximize data use to make core decisions
- Enhance business planning
- Enhance financial performance
- Maximize ROI
Data is strategic raw material and with high volume streaming in a business via different formats [structured & unstructured], it becomes crucial to sieve the helpful data at right time to equip the right decision-makers. Thus take advantage of new opportunities and grow.
Data errors and inconsistencies can cause poor decision-making, integrity issues, and different organizational problems. It even plays a huge part in regulatory compliance, which is essential to minimize the risks and reduce operational costs.
What does a robust data governance strategy look like?
The benefits of a robust data governance strategy are clear but some key objectives need careful consideration. Plans for every company differs but some aspects to consider while developing and implementing data governance policies and procedures include –
- Proper usage of data – Ensure that the data usage policies are clear. Monitor and enforce data usage policies to avoid personal data misuse and data errors.
- Ensure regulatory compliance – It is a crucial element of data governance that needs to be kept in mind across every development and implementation phase.
- Enhance data security – It ensures that every data is secured without concerns about unauthorized data access.
- Create and enforce data distribution policies – A good plan MUST include data distribution specifics. It prevents unauthorized access or use of data as well as highlights data governance structure.
What does a data governance framework comprise of?
Data governance framework includes policies, procedures, rules, and structures for managing the data. Foundational documents are created to regulate the process. It must include –
- A mission statement
- Data governance measurable goals
- Goal measuring metrics
- Detailed and clear guidelines of who is liable for specific data governance aspects
Every process phase so shared across the organization.
Core data governance team includes –
- Data manager
- Data governance architect
- Data strategist
- Compliance specialist
Data governance stakeholders are –
- Board of directors
- Finance executives
- IT staff
Involving all the stakeholders is crucial. It ensures that the process will lead to great outcomes!